Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Grabbing or Giving?

You might think that one person can’t change the world, well maybe God is not looking for you to change the world, but might He be looking for you to change your world! Who are you becoming with the wealth you have? Generous or greedy? Charitable, or corrupt? A Life Well Lived is not one of Grabbing, but Giving? How does one do that? Some thoughts on how to work towards making that a reality...

1. Ask yourself how you can use what God has given you to give back to Him and His mission for the world. Its learning to live ‘open-handed.’ Example – we dedicate children to the Lord, why not dedicate everything we have to the Lord.

2.
Don’t be impressed with earthly wealth – it is temporal and it will fade. Do not set your heart on something that will not last! Psalm 62:10 – “… though your riches increase, do not set your heart on them.”

3.
IF gold has become your god – REPENT – stop trusting the gold to do for you what only God can do!
4.
SIMPLIFY – use your abundance to alleviate the suffering of God’s poor. Don’t ignore those in need around you.

5.
If your struggling with greed, materialism and hoarding wealth – start writing big checks! The cure for greed is generosity.

6.
Ask for your Daily Bread – neither poverty, nor riches. Read Proverbs 30:7-9
7. Be thankful for what you have (and don’t have) – an attitude of gratitude!

Some quotes to consider...
“Sometimes I think, ‘If I die, I won’t have to see my children suffering as they are.’ Sometimes I even think of killing myself. So I often see them crying, hungry; and there I am, without a cent to buy them some bread. I think ‘My God, I can’t face it! I’ll end my life. I don’t want to look anymore.’” Iracenema da Silva – A Resident of a slum in Brazil


“It is arguable that materialism is the single biggest competitor with authentic Christianity for the hearts and souls of millions in our world today, including many in the visible church.” Craig Blomberg from ‘Neither Poverty Nor Riches: A Biblical Theology of Possessions’


“Tell me what you think about money, and I will tell you what you think about God.”

Billy Graham

"All I ask is for the chance to prove that money can't make me happy." Spike Milligan



“I used to think, when I was a child, that Christ might have been exaggerating when he warned about the dangers of wealth. Today I know better. I know how hard it is to be rich and still keep the milk of human kindness. Money has a dangerous way of putting scales on one’s eyes, a dangerous way of freezing people’s hands, eyes, lips, and hearts.” Dom Camara – Revolution through Peace


Scriptures to wrestle with...
James 5:1-6
Matthew 6:24
Proverbs 23:4
Psalm 49:16-17
Matthew 6:19-24
1 Timothy 6:6-10

Recommended Reads –

‘Rich Christians In An Age Of Hunger – Moving from Affluence to Generosity.’ Ronald J. Sider
‘Neither Poverty Nor Riches: A Biblical Theology of Possessions.’ Craig Blomberg
‘Simplify.’ Paul Borthwick




3 comments:

JediFonger said...

i'm sure i am not the first person to ask you: does this mean Christians should not only be "poor in spirit" but stay poor financially on purpose? not talking about getting into debt, but does this mean that we make enough to stay alive (food, clothe, shelter) and then some leftovers to give to the poor around us, but we shouldn't strive to become like Bill Gates (think "greed is good" from wall street)? how to reconcile both the business world (make as much profit as possible) and the principles you list?

md4jc said...

Great questions 'jedifonger' - in regards to Christians being wealthy, the issue is not how much wealth one has, but how one uses their wealth.. does their wealth consume them (hoarding), or do they use the wealth they have to come alongside God's poor. Poor people can still be materialistic because materialism is an attitude - its like suggesting that blind people cannot lust because they cannot see. Scripture makes clear that the rich and poor have one thing in common, God is the maker of them both. (Proverbs 22:2) Scripture is replete with examples of God fearing individuals who had a more than enough – Job is a great example. He had a lot, but it was taken from him only to have it doubly restored to him. At the heart of the list I have is that we would be generous with everything we have – no just money. That we would use the money that we have (which is a gift from God) to give to those who are in need. God is a generous God – and those who follow Him should model what we know to be true of the One we follow.. A favorite verse to close with – “Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint.” Proverbs 23:4 (this verse is in opposition to the business world, but I’m cool with that)..

Krista Photography said...

Just a thought, but I don't think we're supposed to reconcile our beliefs with the business world. I think we're to be different than those around us. I'd like to think that Christ-followers would think, act, and run their businesses differently than those who don't know God. I don't mean you shouldn't try to make a profit - but like Michael said - what is your motive? Are you trying to get as much as you can, or are you trying to make a decent life for yourself. And are you making profits in a way that benefits others, or are you taking advantage of people along the way?