Tuesday, July 22, 2008

thinking man

Do you ever have those ‘splinter in your mind moments?’ That one thought or question that just seems to stick, and the harder you try to get it ‘unstuck’ from your mind, it actually only drives the splinter deeper in. Well here’s my ‘splinter’. Does God have a purpose? Now before you answer that question, you must realize how I and ‘Webster’ are defining purpose. Purpose answers the question of ‘why do I exist?’ This word can be used in a few different ways, but for the purpose of this splinter, I am being single-minded in defining purpose in its most pure form – ‘the reason for which something exists.'

So here’s where the splinter begins to dig in a little deeper. God has no beginning or end – meaning, there is no starting point for God. He’s always existed. There was never a point in time when God was not. So if God has always been and always will be, how could He have a purpose? Who would define His purpose? The only reason you and I have purpose is because our Creator has made clear what our purpose is. God does not have a Creator – so who defines His purpose? Does He define his own purpose, i.e. why He exists? But, how does God who knows nothing of not existing answer the question, this is why I exist?'

My purpose (why I exist) is clear – to know my Creator. To be in right relationship with Him, both now and for eternity? Jesus, God’s son made that possible. But God does not exist to be in relationship with me. He is completely satisfied and complete within Himself (the Trinity).

Scripture makes clear on numerous occasions that God has a ‘purpose’, that is He has plans, or a Will to be carried out, but again, I am not speaking of purpose in terms of plans, or a will. The splinter of this ‘thinking man’ is why does God exist? He was not created, so how does one answer that question, and how is it possible that the created being could say of its Creator – ‘this is why our Creator exists?’ Any thoughts on this particular splinter?

3 comments:

suzanne said...

Well thanks for the splinter Michael. Seeing as I couldn't wrap my head around this at all I googled "why does God exist"
I'm not sure if this makes it more easy to understand or drives the splinter deeper, oh my.

-God simply must exist. It is as simple as that.
-God's existence is necessary and entailed in of itself. He can not not be.
-The existence of created things is contingent, and only possible through God's acts of creating and sustaining.
It is not necessary for God to create or not create anything, for God is not conditioned by any of our human suppositions or categorizations.

Nairb Tluh said...

This has often crossed my thoughts. At ENC we studied the links between science and Christianity. Being both one who works in science and a Christian, I have been torn in the past as to how to reconcile the Big Bang theory and our Creation story into my Worldview. The best story I have come up with is that God being at the center of it all burst into creation (Big Bang), the "I AM" moment. Creating all of the heavenly bodies earth, sun, nebulae... Darwin couldn't have been too far off either, noticing how mutations in our biology change relative to the chemistry and physical aspects of our surroundings. Everything created or formed with purpose, ever changing beauty.... I AM. Eternity, everlasting, forever, INFINITY.

Evan said...

good update ;-)