Thursday, October 2, 2008

LOST



Boston is not an easy city to navigate. It’s happened before, and it happened again yesterday – I got LOST! I thought if I just keep going, I would eventually see something familiar that would point me in the right direction. I kept going and going even though I had the reoccurring thought ‘stop and turn around.’ But I could not stop now because of how far I had gone. I kept thinking ‘certainly I will recognize something soon that will put me on the right path or point me in the right direction.’ Yes – I could have stopped to ask for directions, but I wanted to get ‘unlost’ on my own. After about 50 minutes of going in the wrong direction and ending up in a town that I’d never been in, I finally stopped, turned around and retraced my steps. I worked my way back to where I needed to go, but I wasted a lot of gas and time in the process.


It’s one thing to be lost in a car headed in the wrong direction, but what happens when being lost is a summary of your life. Too many people travel down the highways and byways of life never stopping to ask a very simple question – ‘is where I’m headed actually going to lead me to the place I want and need to be?’ Rather than asking that question and pausing long enough to compose an answer, far too many people are content to travel along in life hoping that eventually they will recognize something along the way that will potentially point them in the right direction. What if you never recognized anything along the way – would you just keep going? Ultimately, if you don’t know where you’re going, how would you know when you arrived?


Life is far too valuable a gift to live lost. Jesus once said – “The Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost." Admitting lostness and allowing someone other than you find you takes great humility, but there is no greater joy than getting found. Live lost, or get found – which one will you chose?

1 comment:

suzanne said...

This song came to mind while reflecting on being "lost"

"Shadowfeet" Brooke Fraser

"Walking,stumbling on these shadowfeet
toward home,a land that I've never seen
I am changing: less and less asleep
made of different stuff than when i began
and i have sensed it all along
fast approaching is the day
when the world has fallen out from under me
I'll be found in you, still standing
when the sky rolls up and mountains fall on their knees
when time and space are through
I'll be found in you"

Oh, and FYI- whenever lost in Boston look up and find the prudential building and drive towards that, you can always find signs for home around there. Just a little trick for all you "foreigners".